Subject: Re: Accurate Lighting? (SMTP Id#: 26074)
From: <[email-masked]> (Alan J. Lloyd )
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 13 08:40:25 1995

Bruce Considine wrote:

>> "...is there any relationship...to actual candlepower
>> or lumens?"

Ernie Wright replied:

> "Nope."

One thing to consider though...don't know/can't speak for your
lighting approach but I generally use a camera and monitor when
I'm DP'ing, I guess the equivalent would be the (ouch!)
ever-popular "test render" in Lightwave.  With the percentages
for light sources it's possible to grossly approximate a 2:1,
3:1, 4:1 etc. lighting ratio, the problem as I see it is in the
un-real-world lack of fine control over diffusion and the like. 
Give me a big damn softlight for portraits and headshots any day.
Color sometimes lacks the level of control as well...what's a
1/4-CTO in Lightwave?  What's Tough Frost as opposed to Tough
Silk (that one in particular would be nice...directional
diffusion!) or Tough Spun, or Full Daylight Blue?

I sympathize, Bruce.  I wish there were true "real-world"
lighting tools in Lightwave.  Oh well, maybe in LW v7 (???).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Lloyd                                              
[email-masked]
>> All standard disclaimers apply.  Non-standard disclaimers
   available on request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
<[email-masked]>  (Alan J. Lloyd ) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]